Tiger Tribune

Review of The 78th Golden Globes

The 76th edition of the Golden Globes hosted by ex-SNL member Andy Samberg and comedian/actor Sandra Oh transpired on Sunday night in shocking fashion. Over the years, the Hollywood Foreign Press (who votes on the awards) has been well known for straying from traditional award shows like the Academy Awards or BAFTAs. This year was absolutely no difference. Several of these award winners were so dramatically surprising that the very program itself could be up for an Emmy this fall. Here’s my reaction to the globe winners Sunday night and the performances that snubbed the victory.

Best Performance By an Actor in a Motion Picture–Comedy/Musical

Winner: Christian Bale (Vice)

At the age of forty-four, english actor Christian Bale his second career Golden Globe Sunday night (first for his Supporting Role in 2010 movie “The Fighter”) for his remarkable portrayal of former Vice President Dick Cheney in Adam McKay’s “Vice”. This Christmas release led pool of the movies represented Sunday Night with six nominations. Although many moviegoers (including myself) preferred Mckay’s 2016 film “The Big Short” over this new biopic, many can agree it was performance led with Bale at the forefront. Bale’s acceptance speech marked fun at the controversial character he depicted in the film when saying, “I would like to thank Satan for preparing me for this roll”, which was followed by a heavy chuckle from the crowd. The actors win was one of the only predictable outcomes from a crazy night was really only Viggo Mortensen (Green Book) could have challenged the Englishmen for the Globe. As for me,  this award was long awaited and well-deserved for Bale who has been in the film industry ever since his childhood. Bale has delivered memorable performances in The Dark Knight trilogy, American Hustle, The Prestige, and more, and it is about time he gets a globe under his belt. Bale’s physical transformation in order to deliver a performance as Dick Cheney mirrors Gary Oldman’s work as Winston Churchill last year in “Darkest Hour”. That won him an Oscar. And something tells me Bale could be next in line.

Best Performance By an Actress in a Motion Picture–Musical/Comedy

Winner: Olivia Colman (The Favourite)

A little more parody occurred Sunday night with a victory from Olivia Colman in “The Favourite”. This new film by Yorgos Lanthimos has been extremely well perceived by critics for being remarkably shot and for the great performances delivered by its 3 star actresses, the main of which being Olivia Colman. I have not much to say about this one noting that I am yet to see “The Favourite” but this win from Colman seemed highly expected from critics. This is also the second Golden Globe victory for Colman, her first coming for the TV show, “The Night Manager”.

Best Performance By an Actor in a Motion Picture–Drama

Winner: Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)

This one was the start of the upsets. The 37 year old Malek only recently got his big breakthrough due to his role as a computer hacker in TV series “Mr. Robot” in which he was awarded a Prime-time Emmy in 2016. People were a bit critical when he was enlisted to play the role of Freddie Mercury in the Queen blockbuster “Bohemian Rhapsody”. Malek’s performance has been trending upwards as of late–really generating a lot of heat moving up to the Golden Globes. In my opinion this win was significant. Not only was Malek’s win was a bit of a tremor, but it says a lot about the chances of Bradley Cooper taking home the Academy Award come late February. If Cooper was overshadowed by Malek at the Golden Globes in a looser category, how will he fare when you add the likes of Viggo Mortensen and Christian Bale? Assuming of course they got nominated later this month. It’s become. There’s been a legitimately trend of late of male actors getting awarded for their depictions of historical characters. Behold Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln, Gary Oldman as Churchill, and even Malek’s competitor Christian Bale as Dick Cheney. Although I think Malek could and should get an Oscar nomination, this one surprised me, and it’d be a real sight if he took home the Oscar for this Freddie Mercury portrayal.

Best Performance By an Actress in a Motion Picture–Drama

Winner: Glenn Close (The Wife)

Glenn Close took home the Best Actress (drama) award for her work in “The Wife” Sunday triumphing overwhelming favorite and pop icon Lady Gaga (Star Is Born). Close was definitely in the running for this award–still acting at the highest levels at 71 years old. This marks the third Golden Globe win for Close throughout her illustrious career. Although, the story once again relays back to Star Is Born. Nobody thought the worldwide hit to get snubbed out of both the lead acting awards which the movie tended to predominantly rely on. Happy for Glenn Close, but Lady Gaga’s chances at the Academy Awards has been called into question. The Academy has a pattern of giving singers credit for out of nowhere performances in the film industry, but will they give Lady Gaga the hardware, I just don’t know.

Best Motion Picture–Comedy/Musical

Winner: Green Book

I never thought I would say this, but I was proud of the often unpredictable Golden Globes after this one. I loved Green Book, and Peter Farrelly’s (below) film definitely the home favorite for me this award season of the films

I have gotten to the theaters to see. After winning at the Toronto Film Festival in September, this film has risen through the ranks and performed pretty well at the box office enduring a tough Thanksgiving release. I honestly just thought the screenplay and acting performances in this film were superior to any movie I have seen since Manchester By the Sea, but on the contrary it wasn’t depressing. It’s a heartwarming story about the beautiful relationship formed between two people with two opposing backgrounds, and the film touches on serious subjects in facetious manner. The movie strides in getting the straightforward message of the unjustness of inequality across to audiences while still keeping a light-hearted tone. It’s just a film we need right now— a movie that will leave you smiling when you credits roll. This was a deserved win and catapults Green Book into a front runner candidate for Best Picture at the Oscars.

Best Motion Picture–Drama

Winner: Bohemian Rhapsody

This was the shocker of not only the night, but the whole awards season. Regardless of how impressive Rami Malek’s job was, the movie taken as a whole was pretty mediocre. I mean it did no better than last year’s “The Greatest Showman” which was also up for best picture, but was never really given a shot. Bohemian Rhapsody currently owns a 62% Rotten Tomatoes score and was received widely with mixed opinions. For this movie to knock off the likes of “Star Is Born”, “BlackkKlansman”, and “If Beale Street Could Talk” is such a shocking upset. I mean we are talking about a movie here that very well could be unrepresented at the Oscars come February, and it won arguably the biggest award of the night. This to me was bit too out of left field. I don’t see how this movie could have upset such well-liked movies such as Star Is Born and Black Panther. Let’s say it frankly. Outside of Malek’s Freddie Mercury effort, Bohemian Rhapsody is been viewed as a little banal by moviegoers. It was shocking to see the film hoist the Globe, so it’ll be interesting if the Academy agrees and gives it a Best Picture nomination.

Rapid Fire

Mahershala Ali (Green Book) Wins Best Supporting Actor.

Love it. Delivers a similar performance to “Moonlight” but it’s a very grounding performance that resonates with audiences. Mahershala is just a natural talent and stands out in Green Book nicely along with his counterpart Viggo Mortensen.

Regina King Takes Home The Globe For Supporting Actress (If Beale Street Could Talk)

This is another performance that has been really trending of late as more people are able to see Barry Jenkin’s new film “If Beale Street Could Talk”. I can’t speak for this one too much as it’s in very limited theaters, but I have heard King delivers powerful lines. King recently was left off the nomination list at the BAFTA’s which was a immense surprise after he win Sunday Night. The Oscars loved Jenkins first film, so I am looking to see if she can get back on track in such a competitive category at the Oscars. She’s going up against big names like Amy Adams (Vice) who is simply due for a win, and Emma Stone (The Favourite).

Alfonso Cuaron’s (Roma) Steals The Directing Win in a Tight Category

Cuaron’s “Roma” is probably the movie I have to see next. I have heard from critics that every shot is truly brilliant from this movie. The clear lock Foreign Film of the Year, Roma is shot in all black and white, a rarity in today’s industry. A Cuaron win at the Oscars would mark back to back Spanish Director wins as Guillermo Del Toro took the Academy Award last year for Best Picture Winner “The Shape of Water.” I am looking forward to seeing this movie a lot.

Please stay in the loop for the rest of my Oscar movie reviews as I am yet to post my reviews of Disney’s “Mary Poppins Returns” and Adam McKay’s “Vice”.

Junior Writer,

Nick Woodhouse