Tiger Tribune

Tiger Tribune

Driving For Greatness: BHS Men’s Golf Team Scores a 4th Place Finish in 6A State Tourney

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nick Woodhouse, Junior Analyst

BHS Men’s Golf Team Places 4th in State Tournament

The 6A Arkansas State Golf Tournament was held in Cabot at Rolling Hills Country Club. The BHS Men’s golf team, Coached by Mr. Kent Early, traveled down to Cabot the monday before the opening round of Tuesday to get in a swift practice round at Rolling Hills CC. The 6A State Tournament is annually organized by AAA and consists of 2 rounds where half the field is cut after day one play (16 teams cut down to 8 teams). One could say that practice round was helpful as the Tigers came out firing on Tuesday.

Tuesday’s First Round Scores

Michael Senn                          73

Phisher Phillips                       76

Murphy Allard                          76

Johnathan “JL” Sanchez        77

Alexander Apolskis                 81

An exceptional first round of playing left the Tigers in 4th place overall, sitting behind only Little Rock Catholic (3rd), defending champion Fayetteville Bulldogs (2nd), and hometown favorite Cabot High School. The lowest score for the Bentonville Tigers after day 1 was produced by none other than Sophomore Michael Senn.

“I was overall very pleased with my performance on day 1. I started on hole 10 and started off good…so I knew it could be a good day.” explained Senn.

Day two was a lot more of the same. Great playing the by the Bentonville Tiger Team that went (9-2) in the regular season play. Results for rounds on day 2 are as followed:

Johnathan Sanchez               72

Phisher Phillips                      79

Murphy Allard                         79

Michael Senn                         80

Alex Mondello                        90

A big story was the final round from Johnathan Sanchez. The 4 year letterman finished his Bentonville Tiger golfing career with a respectable 72, and his lowest round in state competition. Johnathan has chosen to further his academic and golfing career at the University of Missouri Southern State.

“I will miss being with the team the most. These group of guys were so good to me and I had so much fun. I’m going to miss it for sure,” said Sanchez.

Sanchez looks over his

Shot from the right rough

(above)

Overall, the Bentonville Tigers placed a respectful 4th overall (612 total strokes) in the State.

“I felt with pretty happy with our performance at State this year considering 4 out of our 5 starters are sophomores. We definitely improved from last year and I am excited to see what we can do junior and senior year,” said Sophomore Phisher Phillips.

Cabot High School captured the title (566 total strokes) with great rounds from star seniors Blaine Calhoon and Connor Gaunt. Fayetteville’s 5 year winning streak was snapped as they placed runner up in the two day event.

All in all, a huge shout out to the whole 2018 BHS Men’s golf squad as they truly represented great competitiveness and class sportsmanship at Rollings Hill Country Club. A great depiction of what being a Bentonville Tiger is all about.

From the left: Murphy Allard, Phisher Phillips,

Alex Mondello, Alexander Apolskis, Johnathan Sanchez, and Michael Senn