The Package Bomber of Texas

Rebecca Johnson, Editor

Throughout last month several bombings occurred in Austin, Texas. The first bombing happened on March 2nd and several bombs were discovered during the rest of the month. The bombs were left on doorsteps and citizens would unknowingly detonate it when they picked it up. Police informed the public to be wary that the bombs weren’t being sent in the mail and of packages left on doorsteps.

When father, Anthony Stephan House, sent his daughter to go brush her teeth he ventured out to get the box left on his doorstep. He was 39 years old when the package exploded and killed him, on March 2nd, less than a month ago. The Police thought that this was a singular attack until two more bombs exploded on March 12th.

Draylen Mason was only 17 and planning to go to college to study music in the fall then on March 12th he was killed by a bomb attack. The other bombing on the 12th injured Esperanza Herrera, but no one was killed in the attack. Citizens thought the attacks could be a hate crime since African Americans and Hispanics had been targeted until when on March 18th another bomb went off injuring two white individuals, who have not been named.

On March 20th two bombs were found in a FedEx facility. One of the bombs exploded but only caused ringing in the ears of one man. The bomb was sent from a small city inside of Austin, Sunset Valley, headed for a address in Austin. The second bomb within the FedEx building was discovered before it went off.

The series of bombs ended when the attacker, Mark Anthony Conditt, blew himself up when the police were closing in. His red SUV was caught on camera at the FedEx parking lot in Sunset Valley, leading to his discovery by the police. The Austin police forced his SUV to pull over and that’s when he blew up himself in his car.