The Post: Hanks and Streep Shine

Katherine Graham (Meryl Streep) discusses with editor Ben Bradlee (Tom Hanks)

Nick Woodhouse, Writer

Steven Spielburg’s “The Post” takes place in the early 1970s, while America is divided. As the war in Vietnam rages on, the New York Times publish a top secret government paper regarding the war in the morning paper. When the Washington Post is able to get their hands on the confidential set of papers, they are tasked with analyzing the content, creating the stories, but most importantly choosing whether to publish them or not. Katherine Graham, played by the marvelous Meryl Streep, is the first female CEO of a national newspaper company. With help from Ben Bradlee (Tom Hanks), Graham must choose whether to publish the papers– standing up for the freedom of the press & the american people, yet risk the future of the company and there own. Or.. to not run the story and protect the employees and investors of the business.

The Good

Not much of a shock here but the acting performances especially given from Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks were very much so up to par with their usual work. Streep is for sure the best part of this movie. Seemingly every role she shines in–and this one is no different. Tom Hanks is once again proven himself was one of the better actors in the history of film. Even though shadowed a bit by Meryl Streep in this movie, Hanks’s displays a very passionate performance. Lastly, I think Paul Giamatti gave a very overlooked performance in this one as I though he did very well in his role as a Washington Post editor.

The Bad

There weren’t many issues I had with the film. The plot it’s self could need a little work, for me, I just didn’t really get the opening scene of this movie. The opening scene centers on the Vietnam War and the journalist that covers it. To have a tone shift from a tense war zone to a newspaper room in a matter of minutes was just a bit odd to me. Also, the ending I thought was purely pointless. Not spoiling anything but I just didn’t get how it necessarily correlated with the main plot at hand. Other than the short scenes at the beginning and end, I loved the storyline.

The thing that makes this movie is so special is that is does an unbelievable job of relating historical events with the current american society. The american people haven’t been so divided as we now are until the days of the Vietnam War. Freedom of the Press in association with the government is a hot topic right now. but even bigger is equal pay and work rights for women in all industries. My favorite part in this movie is how younger women look up to the person that Katherine Graham is, and I think we need more women in this world like Katherine to inspire women and be a role model for young girls. This a true testament to how film can relate back to real world issues.

GRADE: B+