International Human Trafficking

Sydney Carr, Writer

A video of slaves being auctioned in Libya surfaced on November 15 via CNN. People in Libya are auctioning migrants off as slaves with emphasis on strength for digging or farm work. The fall of Muammar Gaddafi has made human trafficking and smuggling a booming trade. The migrant backup is also to blame for the slave trade.

“I think that people that think human trafficking is okay are insane and need to fix themselves and their thoughts,” Junior Srishti Gogia said.

Celebrities have gone to twitter to express their concern and try to shine light on the horrible slave trade and how it needs to be fixed. Well known singer Pharrell Williams tweeted a video of migrants being sold with the caption “appalling” on November 28th. The US Secretary General Antonio Guterres made a comment on the issue.

“Slavery has no place in our world and these actions are among the most egregious abuses of the human rights and may amount to crimes against humanity,” Guterres said.

Out of the 700,000 to 1 million migrants expected to be within the country hundreds are sold into slavery. The slaves sell for as little as 400 dollars a person. After the outrage from the CNN video surfaced the international organizations are making efforts to innovate and provide transportation for stranded migrants.

“I think the slavery is very inhumane and terrible and it needs to be stopped,” Senior Brayden Kennedy said.

There are ways to help end this crisis. Raising awareness by talking about it and becoming informed about the topic is a good place to start. Supporting the International Organization for Migrations to help protect migrants in Libya would be good as well. Donate to causes that help put an end to slavery everywhere would significantly help. Slave trade is just being talked about, but it is everywhere! Talking about it is a step in a direction to put it to an end.