Alabama Clenches National Championship Title

Matthew Campbell, Writer

On Monday, Alabama and Georgia clashed head-to-head in the College Football National Championship. The 26-23 Alabama victory in overtime over the Georgia Bulldogs marked the 12th national championship win for the program.

After an unproductive first half of football season for Alabama, head coach Nick Saban put the team’s two best quarterbacks on the bench and instead played freshman Tua Tagovailoa, leading to the Alabama victory. Tagovailoa had never started a game yet came onto the field and threw a 41-yard pass to DeVonta Smith for the game-winning touchdown in overtime.

“We needed a spark on offense. I thought Tua would give us a better chance and a spark, which he certainly did,” said Saban on his decision to play Tua Tagovailoa.

Last season, Alabama suffered a heartbreaking loss to Clemson yet this victory has re-established the Crimson Tide’s position as one of the best teams in the sport. Alabama’s football program can thank Nick Saban for their success due to his quality coaching techniques and will to take effective risks.

“It was an executive decision and it was a good one. We’re national champs, so you can’t say anything about it,” said quarterback Jalen Hurts on being benched after the second half of the game.

Many people viewing the game were completely distraught at Saban’s choice to pull out his best quarterback to play a freshman who had never started. However, Georgia Coach Kirby Smart was not surprised with this risky decision by Saban. Before taking the position as the head coach of Georgia two years ago, Smart was an assistant to Saban at Alabama for nine seasons.

“We told everybody at halftime there was no question they were going to him because they were struggling and they needed some momentum. He provided them some juice,” Smart said after the game.

Nick Saban and his Alabama football program continually impress many with their abilities and game-winning tactics every season. Each Alabama victory adds to the legitimacy of the team’s title as one of the best football programs and Saban’s title as one of the most accomplished coaches in college football history. It would be no surprise for Alabama to make many more appearances in the National Championship in the future.