Goodbye To Black Friday?

Gracie Ray, Writer

This year, shopping for Black Friday decreased due to stores not participating in Black Friday or people choosing to stay home. Sales hit a record high of $7.9 million, but almost half of those purchases were done through a mobile phone.

“I have actually heard about stores not acknowledging Black Friday, which makes me mad because I like going to Dillards but there’s no sales,” Sophomore Lexi Powell said.

Stores like Dillard’s, IKEA, and Academy are some of the many stores to stop celebrating Black Friday. They chose to stay closed, let their employees spend Thanksgiving with their families, and not have to deal with any crowds. Black Friday shoppers are arguing about whether stores should engage in sales or not.

“I actually don’t blame those stores for deciding not to acknowledge Black Friday. So many things are done online now, so what’s the point?” Sophomore Kaitie Richie said.

Black Friday shopping has changed a lot in the past year. Online shopping has definitely increased. Almost half of the Black Friday shoppers are staying at home and ordering online. Some like going out, being hands-on with their purchases, and desire to fight through the mobs. However, a lot of people feel that Black Friday online shopping is a lot easier and less stressful.

“I feel that going out and being hands-on with purchases is better because you get to see what you want in your own hands, rather than on a screen at home,” Senior Bryan Ray said.

Last year was a record year for ecommerce with 44% of consumers shopping online. Smart stores know where and how their customers are making purchases, so they predict online will continue to grow this year, with more and bigger deals accessible through the world wide web than ever before.

“I like online shopping more, so i think it’s cool that online shopping is continuing to grow all over the world,” Sophomore Will Malec said.

Amazon is the most popular online retailer, and they got the results for top-selling items on their websites.This year’s top-selling items for Amazon were the Amazon Echo Dot, the Fire TV Stick with Alexa voice remote, the TP-Link smart plug, the Instant Pot DUO 80 8-quart multi use programmable pressure cooker, and the 23andMe DNA test.

“Online shopping makes things really easy and way safer. People are getting hit and yelled at when they are in stores on Black Friday,” Sophomore Alexus Sparks.

Black Friday has been around since 1961, but there could be a possibility that this legendary day can evolve to being only online or become extinct altogether. Since stores are beginning to go against the tradition, Black Friday shoppers may decide to start staying home and shopping online. The Black Friday is really up to the shoppers that decide whether it is worth it or not.