Arkansas Hires SMU Coach Chad Morris for Head Coach Position

Matthew Campbell, Writer

On December 6th, Arkansas announced the hiring of Chad Morris to fill the vacant head coach position. Filling Bret Bielema’s role as head coach, Morris agreed to a six-year, $21 million contract with the Razorbacks.

Morris left his 14-22 record as the head coach at Southern Methodist University, to lead to the Arkansas Razorbacks. Though the SMU Mustangs did not have a winning record with Morris, since he began coaching the team, the team’s abilities and skills improved drastically. SMU went 2-10 in Morris’ first season with the team in 2015, 5-7 in 2016 and 7-5 this season.

Recently hired athletic director, Hunter Yurachek, said in response to the hiring, “The future is tremendously bright at the University of Arkansas with the addition of Chad Morris. I am confident that Chad will bring an exciting brand of football, phenomenal student-athletes and championships to Fayetteville, and do it all with high integrity.”

Before rebuilding SMU’s football program from the ground up, Morris was responsible for the construction of high-scoring offenses at Texas high schools. Arkansas is already projecting that Morris with approach the rebuilding of the team with the same intensity.

“We are gonna put it in the left lane and put the hammer down,” says coach Chad Morris at his first team meeting.

Many other candidates for the Arkansas job were considered for the head coaching position. Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables and Memphis coach Mike Norvell were highly considered for the job while rumors of hiring Auburn coach, Gus Malzahn, floated around.

Coach Chad Morris said in response to his recent hiring, “We [Arkansas] will become a model program for all others to follow.”

The Arkansas Razorbacks are revitalizing their athletic programs with the recent firing of football head coach, Bret Bielema, the hiring of new athletic director, Hunter Yurachek and the hiring of Chad Morris as the football head coach. These large efforts towards increasing the abilities and success of Arkansas involves a large risk yet can result in a payoff that could benefit Arkansas’ football program.