Tiger Tribune

Tiger Tribune

More FLEXible?

Back to Article
Back to Article

More FLEXible?

Rachel Johnson, Writer

Bentonville High School in the 2016-17 school year has shifted from the Seminar scheduling to Fourth Flex scheduling. Many students greet the new year with mixed emotions on the arising changes. The Flex system was not functioning for the first few weeks of the school year due to issues with the technology and lack of training for the teachers. The system was difficult to understand due to the extensive reliance on technology and having to schedule four periods each week.

The introduction of this new schedule arranges Tuesdays and Thursdays to have two Flex periods, one from 10:38-11:19 and the other from 11:26-12:08. Fridays then have an Advisory period, from 11:58-1:38 with lunches throughout, in which Flex scheduling is completed. So students said goodbye to seminar and honors passes and said hello to online scheduling. Some opposition has come up in the transition from Seminar to Flex.

“I honestly feel like  flex  is a waste of my time and I don’t have any time to get anything done. The fact that we don’t have honors passes makes me feel like all the hard work I’ve done to keep honors has been a waste. I wish it was the old way.” Senior Josh Harpell, a student who started a petition to get rid of Flex, said.

The schedule which had recently only been introduced to some local junior high schools is meant to reduce truancy and increase opportunities for working on homework for all 9th-12th graders at BHS. Coming into the high school some of the freshmen then had an advantage with the Flex system, having already used it the year before. Some of the upperclassmen Advisories went as far as having freshmen students come in and show them how to use the system at the start of using the program.

“It was pretty different in junior high, whenever I needed to go somewhere for a class I asked my seminar teacher, signed out, and left. The whole scheduling thing was kind of annoying at first but I got used to it. Of course I would prefer it the other way.” Freshman Brock McRae said.

Although Flex started out with a little bit of a bumpy start, it has slowly began to run smoother as the semester progresses. Flex has been a creative and somewhat functional way to cut down on the school’s truancy and other problems. The students are hoping that the system continues to improve throughout the school year and are curious about whether it will stick around for very much longer.