Getting Technical

As we enter the finest age of technology, society marvels in the many innovations that have been ingrained into everyday life, or what will soon become a common addition to the modern era. These brilliant inventions leave those bewildered by their practical application, beneficial contribution or unthinkable design that only science fiction could bring to life. Thanks to the pioneering of scientists and researchers, there is a fine collection of technology available or in development. Here is a list of some of last year’s as well as this year’s inventions:

Agile Robots

Though robotics have been around for many years, ranging from artificial intelligence to intricate machinery, the development of walking robots have been pursued by the Boston Dynamics company. They have installed a dynamic balance feature onto a quadrupedal and humanoid robot which allows them to maintain their balance when treading over uneven or treacherous terrain. This technology can help with future advancements with robotics, creating machines that can respond to emergencies as well as interact with others on a common ground.

Self-Automated Machines in Factories

Production rates for corporations has drastically increased by implementing automated machines to fulfill the company’s best interest. Robots have been utilized by assembly lines to manufacture vehicles, package foods products and build countless items spanning from large metal materials for construction to micro-sized chips for small devices. Efficiency and accuracy makes automated robots a benefactor for many industries. However, the installment of robotics in factories creates a dispute between workers who are trying to make an honest living because they don’t want to be easily replaced by a machine.

D30

This company has collaborated on manufacturing shock absorbent materials that provides protection under different circumstances. They use advanced chemistry and specialists’ ingenuity to create the a multitude of products, ranging from sports wear, electronics and protective equipment. The bright orange material has many applications that go beyond what previous materials offered in regards to impact resistance. The company already has their product endorsed by sport equipment industries, construction workers and military soldiers.

3D Printers

This innovation creates three dimensional objects that can take the form of any desirable shape. The operator digitally designs a blueprint of an object on a computer program where it will then be saved on a file and installed into the printer. Once complete, an extruder will melt plastic loaded into the printer and begin the layering process, mimicking the design of the object. 3D printers can make virtually any type of digital blueprint. Certain items that have been created by these printers include figurines, sculptures and toys all made out of plastic. This opens up a door to fabricating objects in high demand with great efficiency.

Flying Suit

Richard Browning, who is the founder of Gravity Industries, is hosting as a test pilot for the company’s recent development—The Daedalus. It is a hovering exoskeleton with small jets on the arms and legs, allowing the pilot to maneuver while in the air. Much like the iconic Marvel hero, Iron Man, the Daedalus can soar by using your body as a steering mechanism. Although the device is still in the works, this technology, once operating the suit has become perfected, will lay down the foundation for a new form of transportation.

Airbus E-Fan

The first plane to run on battery power alone will be open for public use later this year. It has all the capabilities of a normal plane without releasing harmful emissions into the atmosphere. As of right now, the contributions flight only lasts up to 75 minutes before it needs to recharge the lithium polymer batteries built into the wings. However when exposed to the public, the plane will allow for emission-free flights for commercial use and transportation, limiting the planet’s pollution and bettering air quality.

Solar Roadways

The SR3, which is a product by the Solar Roadways company, is a hexagonal shaped solar panel containing LED lights, heating elements and tempered glass. These components allow for the panel to direct oncoming traffic, melt away snow or ice and be walked and driven upon without damaging the device. They replace asphalt and cement roadways to make driving safer for people on the road. They are receiving funding for the development of their product, however they unleashed a prototype parking lot in Idaho some time this year.

U.S. Naval Research Laboratory

A naval ship has formulated a process where water may be extracted from the ocean and turned into liquid hydrocarbons. Ship attendants collect the hydrogen and dioxide found in water and put it under a reaction that converts the chemicals into a commercial grade fuel. The U.S. Navy has already tested a prototype ship in the Gulf of Mexico. The expected time for when this technology is patented is ten years from now, only allowing suitable ship the installment of the fuel generating device. This will cut back the demand of fuel for large ships and make them self sufficient during their voyages.

Reverse-osmosis desalination plant

The largest of its kind, the industrial facility, located in Tel Aviv, Israel, produces 40 percent of the country’s household water. They collect ocean water and run it through a series of filters, transforming it into pure, clear drinking water. Although the installment of this facility is costly, countries that suffer from droughts and contaminated water can now have access to a source of drinking water.

VR

The VR is a pair of goggles that allows the viewer to immerse themselves into a reality that’s not their own. When wearing the head-mounted display, the device generates a three dimensional world that the user can interact with. The goggles are split between the eyes as to imitate stereoscopic vision. This allows people to place themselves in any environment or setting, opening the doors for gaming development and public commercial use. There are already several designs for VR goggles, including Oculus Rift, Google Cardboard and Samsung Gear VR.

This is only a glimpse of what is to come as we plunge ourselves deeper into future. Continually striving to invent and astound, humanity advances in scientific discovery, resulting in a more enlightened state of mind and a greater quality of life.