Bomb Erupted in Egypt on Palm Sunday Killing Dozens

Ryan Jurik

A bomb erupted at St. George’s Church in the city of Tanta, Egypt on Palm Sunday. The device was planted underneath the seats of the church where it went off as churchgoers were gathering inside the building. Another explosion soon followed as a suicide bomber detonated himself after being detained by officers outside St. Mark’s Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Alexandria.

The casualties estimate up to 28 patrons attending St. George’s, 17 officers and citizens outside St. Mark’s and at least 125 total injured civilians from the combined attacks. The Islamic terrorist group, ISIS, took responsibility for the bombings and declared that more were to be expected.

President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi commenced a period of mourning for the victims who lost their lives in the explosions. Many funerals have taken place since the event, emitting a feeling of grief among the Egyptian populace.

The country’s cabinet ordered a state of emergency to be issued for a three-month-period, allowing law enforcement to thoroughly investigate anyone who is suspected for terrorist activity. This created a negative response from Egyptian citizens, claiming that it’s an ineffective security force as well as an impede on their freedoms and rights. Chaotic unrest remains prevalent for the Arab country that has dealt with a series of protests, rioting and numerous attacks from Islamic aggressors.

One particular group of people who suffer greatly are the Copts, a religious group that was founded off the Christian teachings of the apostle Mark. They make up 10 percent of Egypt’s population, standing at 91 million people. They have endured discrimination which amplified around 2011 during the toppling of Hosni Mubarak regime.