A Rickety Arrival

More stories from Ryan Jurik

It’s been a week since the season premier of Rick and Morty Season 3 has arrived, and ever since I can not stop watching, thinking, even referencing the show whenever and wherever. I share this feeling of ecstasy with the show’s ever growing audience, marveling over the turn of events that went down in the new episode as well as the cleverly crafted comedy that drives the series. Already, the Rick and Morty fan base has created multiple fan theories regarding the redirecting plot line and have obsessively made attempts in recreate the lost recipe of McDonald’s Szechwan sauce. Are you lost at all? Well prepare to enter through the inter-dimensional portal that is the Rick and Morty universe.

The show is about a young boy named Morty Smith who travels along side his grandfather, scientist and renounced genius Rick Sanchez, on many different adventures through his portal gun invention, finding themselves in difficult situations and dangerous encounters where they have to use science in order to escape. All the while, you see the story of Morty’s family unravel as they deal with real world scenarios that arise in a typical household. It is an animated comedy broadcasted on Adult Swim, an adult channel that airs once Cartoon Network’s segment is over for the day. With that in mind, the premise of the show has a very dark, vulgar way of presenting its comedy, plot, and takeaways to their audience.

In the Season 2 finale, we were left with Rick and his family on the run from the Galactic Federation after they were in a shootout at Bird Perso
n’s wedding. They found a planet outside of the Federation’s jurisdiction where they would be on the lamb for the time being. However, Rick overhears a conversation between Jerry Smith, Morty’s Father, and the rest of the family, Morty, Summer, and Beth Smith, learning about their true feelings towards Rick and how he got them stuck in this dilemma. Without giving any second thought, he deserts his family on the planet, turning himself into the Federation and giving his family a safe return back to Earth. While Morty and his family are sent back to the planet, now under the control of the Federation, Rick is sent to a high security prison, where his fate is left undecided.

After a year in a half, the unveiling of Season 3, Episode 1, The Rickshank Redemption, answers the long awaited conclusion of this cliffhanger. We return to Rick being interrogated by a Galactic Federation Agent in a simulated Shoney’s, trying to learn the secrets of his portal gun invention. As this is going on, we observe the Smith family and how they are adapting to new life under Federation authority. Rick devised a master plan to escape from the simulation while Summer sets out to break him out of prison.

Being an animated comedy, all the characters are voiced by actors or those who are working on the show. Rick Sanchez and Morty Smith are both voiced by Justin Roiland, co-creator and executive producer of the show who voices a plethora of various characters. Spencer Grammer is the voice of Summer Smith, and the voices of Beth and Jerry Smith are done by Sarah Chalke and Chris Parnell. Their collaboration portrays the perfectly ideal dysfunctional family, and the way the voice actors immerse themselves in their roles allows for the characters to develop in a very spontaneous manner.

Being a die hard Rick and Morty fan, I was in love with how the season premiere turned out. It was intricately thought out and absolutely brilliant seeing Rick’s plan follow through. I was on the edge of my seat, and could not stop laughing from the precisely placed jokes that applied to each of the characters and what was happening around them. To finally witness the conclusion of Rick plan, with his impressive execution of timing and skill, I am relieved to have the anticipation faded away and the expectation of upcoming episodes, equally, perhaps more incredible than the previous.

The show is heavily influenced by science fiction and many of the ideas and philosophies that are attached to the genre. It relies mostly on the idea of infinite universes, in which any conceivable possibility is its own reality. Each of those possibilities becomes its own universe where Rick and Morty can easily travel to and be apart of by using their portal gun invention. The idea of there being infinite realities promotes the feeling of emptiness and narcissistic viewpoint towards the rest of the world, ending with people contemplating what their purpose is in life or even if living matters at all if there is no purpose.

Anyone who is a fan of science fiction should most definitely check out this show, especially because it references many other science fiction films and novels, such as Doctor Who, Back into the Future (which is the show’s main inspiration for the Rick and Morty characters), and Gravity Falls.

RATING: “A bunch of the Szechuan Sauce, like as much as you’re allowed to give me”