The March for Babies

Rebecca Johnson

Last Saturday people gathered at the Arvest Ballpark in Springdale for a March for Babies.  The march raised money to support mothers of babies that are in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), which is a care unit that treats ill and premature newborn infants.

Several companies sponsored the event to support the cause.  The company Johnson and Johnson showed their support by supplying flower leis to families walking in the march. There was purple leis for families that had a baby in the NICU, while families who lost a baby had white.

“It was really fun. Being able to see unfamiliar faces and some familiar, walking for a cause that was near to their hearts made me smile so big.  I didn’t know how many people this affected until I saw the people walking. It was a great day being able to love on babies and see people walk for a cause that affects so many people,” Junior Ashlyn Massey said.

This event provided an outlet for local people to get involved in their community and help support mothers of babies who were helped by NICU.  Families, spouses, and friends all marched together.  It was heart-warming to see citizens adorned in colored leis march to help support babies and families that are experiencing the same situation.

“I’m very proud to live in a place where our community is involved with an important event that is usually overlooked,” Junior Ellis Johnston said.

Teenagers were involved at this event as well.  Clubs from both Bentonville and Bentonville West High School got involved, including Key Club, Interact Club, and National Honor Society (NHS).

“I was in the One and Under play area and I got to play with babies and have a lot of fun.  Being involved in this event was really eye opening for me.  I didn’t realize that so many people in our community have had their babies in the NICU or have even lost a baby,” Bentonville West Junior Ashleigh Vinson said.