Mario Badescu’s Drying Mask: Review

More stories from Rachael Gierke

I have struggled with acne since the fifth grade. From face washes, natural remedies, oral and topical medications, spot treatments: you name it, I’ve tried it. I really thought I cured my acne in the eighth grade when I took Accutane. It’s one of the strongest ways to get rid of acne, and it’s usually the last resort. It worked on me. Even though the side effects, such as dry skin, were a struggle, it was one of the best things that has ever happened for my skin. However, my acne came back my senior year. I don’t know if it’s because of stress or what, but it’s back. I’m currently on a mission to find anything that will help improve my skin.

So, my friends were talking about Mario Badescu products. They told me to try his Drying Lotion, which is an effective spot treatment, and to also check out his face masks for oily skin and acne. I’ve heard of his products before, in fact I already own his famous Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs, and Rosewater.

After looking up the brand online, I discovered that all of Mario Badescu’s products are gentle on all skin types and aren’t created with harsh products. They have a variety of products, for example, toners, face masks, washes and spot treatments. Reviews online claimed that some of the products, such as the drying lotion and masks, smell absolutely horrible, but it’s because there is no harsh perfumes or ingredients.

I never intended to go out and buy anything straight away, but that night I was at Ulta to buy makeup and I happened to stumble upon the Mario Badescu kiosk. I instantly noticed how expensive everything was. The little 1 oz bottle for the Drying Lotion was $17, as all the face masks were ranging from $17-$21. The variety caught my attention, though. There were so many different options for oily and acne-prone skin, and the choices made it easy to pick out a mask that is customizable for any skin type. I ended up buying the Drying Mask for $18, which I didn’t find the price too bad considering the size of the product.

The Drying Mask claims to clear acne eruptions, while erasing break outs and drying out unwanted oil from the pores. It contains colloidal sulfur and calamine and can be used on any skin type. It can be used on back and chest acne, too. My acne comes in waves: one week my face will be perfectly clear, and the next my cheeks are completely covered in cystic pimples. My skin is also extremely oily, so I thought the Drying Mask fit my acne struggles best.

I went home excited to try my new face mask. I removed my makeup with micellar water and washed my face with warm water to open up my pores. The directions say to apply a thin layer over the whole face and let it sit for 20 minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water. I applied the mask as directed.

First of all, the mask smells horrible. It has a chemical and sulfur odor to it, and the smell lingers. Most products and odors smell bad at first, but then you get use to it.  But no. The smell from this mask doesn’t fade, you suffer through the whole 20 minutes of the mask.

Despite the smell, it has a smooth, clay texture, and it is easy to apply. It can get a little messy on your fingers when applying, but it wasn’t too much of an annoyance. The color isn’t exactly pleasing; it’s a light brown color, almost nude. The smell and color didn’t bother me too much, though, when I reminded myself that the products contain gentle and genuine ingredients.

While wearing the mask, it felt drying, but it didn’t feel like it was drying my skin out in a bad way. I couldn’t smile since it made my skin so tight, but that is what most clay masks tend to do. Overall, it didn’t feel too irritating on my face.

Rinsing it off was so easy. As I used lukewarm water to rinse off the mask with my fingers, The Drying Mask came off in seconds. A lot of clay masks I have used in the past take rigorous work to remove, to the point where you feel like you’re irritating your skin, contradicting the results of the mask. This mask was the opposite. It gently came off, and my skin didn’t feel irritated to the slightest bit.

My face felt baby smooth after removing it. I definitely didn’t notice insane, instant results, but my face did look refreshed and less red. The next morning, all of my existing pimples were much smaller. They were dried up, and my face still felt smooth. It also didn’t seem to dry out my skin.

Some people stated in their review’s that the mask didn’t work on them and dried out their skin. Furthermore, I recommend this mask to people with oily skin-types, as it may be too drying for someone with dry skin. Also, if you’re sensitive to strong smells, you may not enjoy wearing this mask.

The Drying Mask helped improve my existing break out with just one use, so I am exceedingly impressed. It didn’t miraculously clear my skin over night, but it came close to it. Compared to other clay masks I’ve used, this one seems to be the most gentle one, yet still effective. I would definitely recommend this mask to people who need a mask that they can depend on for breakouts and also to help dry up oily pores.