FFA Celebrates National FFA Week

Junior Morgan Hasler holds her barbecue sandwich prepared by FFA. Morgan is the Vice President of FFA.

Rachael Gierke

Rachael Gierke

Bentonville’s FFA Chapter celebrated national FFA week last week hosting a barbecue for agriculture and FFA students in the lecture hall during all three lunch periods.

While a 30 years tradition of holding a FFA breakfast, the club decided to do a lunch instead. Agriculture teacher Steve Oldham spent hours the night before cooking enough pulled pork to feed a couple hundred of people. His students helped prepare the barbecue sandwiches the morning of.

Students also had the opportunity to meet college representatives to discuss educational opportunities while enjoying lunch.

“I’ve done FFA breakfast for over 30 years. All agriculture students can come to the lunch, and agriculture schools are here specifically for agriculture.” Agriculture teacher Steve Oldham said.

Every year, FFA designates a week to celebrate FFA and spread awareness of the impact the club has on it’s members. It runs from February 18th through 25th and spreads word to students that there is an endless door of possible opportunities from FFA.

“During FFA week we advocate for agriculture and post events. Not a lot of people know about FFA and what it really is.” Senior and FFA President Macy Alexander said.

This year’s theme is Transform. It champions the idea of FFA transforming students into educated leaders, communicators, and many more possibilities from the club.

FFA is more than a club that is just about agriculture and farming. It’s a premier organization that prepares students for leadership, public speaking, career success, and personal growth skills. Students have said that they have improved their speaking and communication skills tremendously after being apart of the club.

“It’s more than just cows, sows, and plows,” Junior and FFA Vice President Morgan Hasler said.

The National FFA Organization also awards around 2 million dollars of scholarships to students each year, being one of the most generous scholarship givers in the country. More than 1,800 scholarships sponsored by individuals and businesses are available. Scholarships are awarded to dedicated FFA members based on their involvement in the club, volunteer hours, academic and leadership achievements, and supervised agriculture experience (SAE).

“The clubs offer a career. Opportunities. Leadership. Friendships. A healthy lifestyle.” Alexander said.

Not only does the club prepare you for future careers and leadership, but it creates lifetime lasting friendships.

“We are so tight knit. People who are always by your side and who support you is the best part.” Alexander said.

So while the 30 years tradition of an FFA breakfast was broken with a barbecue lunch, the tradition and values of FFA and their members will continue to flourish.