Thirteenth Gate: Scary or Not?

Victoria Fredericks, Writer

Step down into underground catacombs and take a stroll through the world of horror.

In 2015, Hauntworld voted Baton Rouge’s 13th Gate the third scariest haunted house in the United States. The 13th Gate is based off of ultra-realism and focuses on blurring the lines between horror and reality. This haunted house has two attractions you are able to go through: 13th Gate Haunted House and Necropolis Haunted Cemetery. They set the haunted house up to mimic scenes from horror movies such as The Evil Dead, It, The Exorcist, and Jack the Ripper.

The Thirteenth Gate puts strong detail into all of their scenes and could easily be mistaken for the actual movie scene. Although fear is relative most people agree that this is one of the scariest destinations. Even if you don’t find it scary it is still a cool and professionally done haunted house worth taking a visit to.

This haunted house, unlike a lot of others, has professional makeup artists who do all of the characters makeup before the haunted house starts. They are able to airbrush their makeup on or even add on a prosthetic. The makeup is  done to look just like the character from the movie or  something completely unique. Throughout the Halloween season the 13th Gate hires over 100 professional actors, 12 special effects makeup and airbrush artists and several costume specialists to make the night as terrifying a they possibly can.

Make-up artist Grace Emden applies make-up to possessed girl Holli Messenger, right, before the start of a night of fun at the 13th Gate Haunted House. During the Halloween season, over 100 professional actors, 12 special effects makeup and airbrush artists and several costume specialist help produce one of the top rated haunted houses in the country.

Make-up artist Grace Emden applies make-up to possessed girl Holli Messenger,  before the night of terror begins.

I wouldn’t go as far to say that it’s the scariest haunted house, but it’s definitely leaps and bounds better than any haunted house in NWA.