BHS Band Students Selected for Rose Bowl Parade

Ruth Martinez

Eleven students from Bentonville High School were selected to participate in the 2017 Rose Bowl Parade in Pasadena, California on January 2, 2017. The parade includes flower-covered floats, marching bands and is followed by the Rose Gold football game.

The eleven students participating in this event are: Ethan Andrews, Erica Baldwin, Brooke Berger, Claire Castagna, Devon Fuentes, Cameron Manning, Madelyn Manning, Parker McPherson, Mason Moore, Megan Tidwell and Sarah Watt.

“I will be playing the mellophone. Band has shaped me as a person, has created long friendships, and has taught me life lessons. Music helped me come out of my shell and be a more creative person. I want to be a music educator. The rose bowl will open many doors for me. I can truly say those two weeks of practice and stress really payed off.” Senior Devon Fuentes said.

The students were selected through an audition process to appear in the Bands of America Honor Band. They will march with 300 other students in the parade. The Honor band only participates in it once every three years making the competition more exciting. In 2013, only seven students were selected to participate in the parade, making this an even bigger accomplishment for the students participating and the band director.

“I am very proud of this accomplishment, and I am very happy I was given this opportunity. Band is my passion, and I can’t wait until January where I’ll be with people who love music as much as I do.” Senior Cameron Manning said.

The students can definitely say that their hard work and dedication in band payed off. Don’t forget to watch these students as they take on the Rose Bowl Parade in January.